« Home | Things that disappoint me » | Another way to state Romans 7:15 » | "Come to Jesus" by Mindy Smith » | Prophecy from the ages » | Clothing my soul's container » | Images from Digital Globe » | Laus Deo Revisited » | More fine photography » | Sometimes spam is good » | I'm Back! More or Less » 

09 January 2005 

An Evolving Conversation

A buddy of mine and I have been playing e-mail tag and it's been interesting enough to post here.

It started with me sending to him a link to a news story about a local school teaching "Intelligent Design" in an effort to balance the teaching of Evolution.

His reply: Probably even proselytizing according to the American Civil Liberals Union.

Mine: Evolution can be explained and accepted under the idea of "Intelligent Design" -- so what's the problem? Why can't God be responsible for Evolution? We may never know -- before leaving Earth.

His reply: The philosophy of naturalism explains a great deal.

Mine: And naturalism opens some worm cans, too. 'Naturalism is a metaphysical theory which holds that all phenomena can be explained mechanistically in terms of natural (as opposed to supernatural) causes and laws. Naturalism posits that the universe is a vast "machine" or "organism," devoid of general purpose and indifferent to human needs and desires' (The Skeptic's Dictionary). If the last clause was removed I'd be interested. Then God could be put back into the equation. Why couldn't God create one "vast 'machine' or 'organism'" for His needs? Check out what the same source says about Intelligent Design. I'm beginning to like the concept, if only to get both sides engaging in a healthy debate.

His reply: That is Deism

My Reply: No, because simply removing that clause doesn't imply the lack of a revealed religion (the basic tenet of Deism). It simply means that God does care. He can reveal His presence by sending His Son to an Earth changed by evolutionary forces that He designed. Makes sense to me. The Garden of Eden was perfect and didn't need to evolve. So what better way to destroy it than with a batch of Evolution-induced entropy? But does it all really matter as long as we accept God's love and the penance paid by Jesus? Nope. It just gives us something to do while we are here.

I'll post more of the conversation if it continues and I think you might find it interesting. As a side note, I used to consider myself a Deist until I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. That, of course, made me a Christian but it didn't strip me of reason. But I am now mature enough to step beyond the observable, concrete fabric of our universe to have faith.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!