« Home | Standing Tall: St. George, St. Andrew & St. Patrick » | Greater London Authority Mayor Ken Livingstone » | One of the Benefits of Camera Phones » | Run, Cowards! You've Stirred the Lion. » | No one can make the sun set on this flag. » | Terrorism in London » | Being a geographer has just gotten better! » | Yes! Now I Know! » | Now That's Funny! » | Why Haven't I Seen This In The American Press? » 

09 July 2005 

Duh! We should have ordered Lamb Chops!

Right after the gang I work with ordered Chinese food for lunch delivery today I came across this story:

450 Sheep Jump to Their Deaths in Turkey

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) - First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.

"There's nothing we can do. They're all wasted," Nevzat Bayhan, a member of one of 26 families whose sheep were grazing together in the herd, was quoted as saying by Aksam.

The estimated loss to families in the town of Gevas, located in Van province in eastern Turkey, tops $100,000, a significant amount of money in a country where average GDP per head is around $2,700.

"Every family had an average of 20 sheep," Aksam quoted another villager, Abdullah Hazar as saying. "But now only a few families have sheep left. It's going to be hard for us."

Yup, we were too late to order lamb chops in lemming sauce.

But seriously, if sheep are really that fluffy, why did so many die? Wouldn't the first few have cushioned the fall for the others? Now if only the first one had taken a ewe-turn .... I wonder if they were on their way to the baa-baa shop to get sheared? Actually, a few of the more polite sheep in the herd survived. They kept telling the others "After ewe!"

Okay, I was going to be serious. It's tough, though, so I hope I'm not asked to do the ewelogy.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!