« Home | Nice Plate » | Thanks, John! » | It has to be pure coincidence » | Konfabulator - Gallery - Scriptures » | Movie Review: Lord of War (2005) » | Techie things that impress me of late » | Bad Spelers of the Wurld Untie! » | Maybe I'm over analyzing this » | Society by Farberware & Pyrex » | In several previous posts you've read my rants abo... » 

26 September 2005 

Worth Reading - What America Should Be About

Raised by a Navy man and a patriot then immersing myself in Colonial and Revolutionary History, it is easy for me to recognize the following as a standard for what America is all about.

Soldier who saved POWs to receive medal

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY Thu Sep 22, 6:55 AM ET

Tibor Rubin was 14 when his family was rounded up by the Germans during World War II. His mother and a little sister were killed in Auschwitz, his father in Buchenwald.

Rubin survived Mauthausen, and when Americans liberated the camp in May 1945, he took a vow.

"It was like angels coming," he said. "That's why I promised, 'If I go to the United States one day, I'm going to join the Army and try to pay back that beautiful country.'"

Rubin followed through. He joined the Army, fought in Korea and spent 30 months as a prisoner of war.

Friday, President Bush will award Rubin, whom he has called 'one of the greatest Jewish soldiers America has ever known,' the Medal of Honor.

Rubin is credited with saving as many as 40 American lives in POW camps run by North Korean and Chinese captors, U.S. Army spokeswoman Maj. Elizabeth Robbins said. At the camps, he nursed the sick and raised morale, she said.

He also stole food for his fellow soldiers, hopping fences and crawling on his belly for handfuls of barley and bunches of turnips.

"What else could I do?" asked Rubin, now 76 and living in Garden Grove, Calif. "They (American soldiers) were weak and dead and dying. I was taking care of them like a mother."

It has taken more than five decades for Rubin's heroics to be recognized by his adopted country, partly because one of his superiors didn't want the Medal of Honor - the nation's highest award for valor - awarded to a Jew, Robbins said.

"He answered the call of duty in gratitude to the nation that rescued him," Robbins said. But "within his company, the first sergeant was not amenable to a Jewish soldier receiving the Medal of Honor."

For your consideration:

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!