« Home | Sponsoring the Anti-Christ » | I watched 20 minutes » | It pays to wander the Web » | Spreading the wealth (or the manure) » | Rumors & Dreams » | Historic Videos » | Don Knotts - An Appreciation » | Bill Richardson (politician) » | See? I was right! » | Congratulations, Alex Ostrovsky! » 

08 March 2006 

Totten a Deux

Right now I'm watching a wonderful movie -- one of my all-time favorites, actually -- and is my wont I looked up a few details at the IMDb. A Song is Born (1948) is a musical remake of 1941's Ball of Fire and has some interesting trivia:

  • Howard Hawks directed both films
  • Mary Field plays Miss Totten in both films
  • Tommy Dorsey, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Barnet, Mel Powell, Buck and Bubbles, Louie Bellson, Page Cavanaugh, and the Samba Kings all play themselves. Getting all these legendary men together to play at the same time would be the equivalent of all the top Rap/Hip-Hop stars singing together in a modern movie.
  • When asked to play without music, Prof. Magenbruch (Benny Goodman) says, "You can't play without music." Lionel Hampton replies, "Well, Benny Goodman used to." Magenbruch then says he's never heard of Benny Goodman.
  • Virginia Mayo's appearance is extra special when you consider that she was just a Goldwyn Girl in her first movie with the lead in this film, Danny Kaye. They eventually teamed up for five movies. Sadly, her singing voice in this film was dubbed by Jeri Sullavan.
Back when I was teaching, my description of this film and the fabulous music in it was effusive enough to convince the music teacher to buy a copy and use it in her class. There's a stunning segment where all the famous musicians listed above create a well-scripted "jam session" outlining the "history" of Jazz and related genres.

Of course, all the music if incredible. I would bet that even an atheist would say "Now there's a gift from God!" when Buck (of Buck and Bubbles) first plays the piano early in the movie. One could almost dispense with the dialogue and have just as much enjoyment with only the music.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!