« Home | Here's a spot of old news that was recent news to ... » | Just downloaded the Song of the Day! b. 1952 ... » | 8th Commandment Issue! One of my co-workers said ... » | Picking a Song of the Day can be tough. Just like ... » | The comic strip Shoe has to be one of the most int... » | From the Even If I Had The Money I Wouldn't Buy Th... » | My feet are so00o unhappy. This was the first day ... » | <!-- Converted from text/rtf format --> Notes fro... » | Can anyone explain to me how spammers think rec... » | Yippee! Our Lodge's Worshipful Master said we can ... » 

31 August 2004 

Song of the Day!

There was a lot of Funk playing in my head today and in the car stereo. Not the George Clinton-type, wild and outrageous in every way. The flavor I lean to is more closely related R&B or Soul; the Curtis Mayfield or Isaac Hayes variety. Maybe that's old school Funk, but I like it for the same reasons I like some pieces more than others: it's unique, but is not trying to be extreme in form or purpose. Maybe that's why I usually don't listen to Hip-Hop or Rap. Though the melodies and rhythms all sound much alike to me thus none should be extreme, most tunes sound as if the artist is trying to shock the listener or like they are trying way too hard to stand out and thus become annoying.

This philosophy is very hard to put into words. It's similar to what keeps a Tall Tale from being an outright lie. Both intentionally deceive in a bid to achieve some sort of gain for at least one of the parties involved. Do you know what the difference is then? Whether one can articulate the nuances that differentiate the two or not, nearly everyone of a mature cognitive level can intuitively understand the difference.

That's how I listen to music. Or to paraphrase a time worn saying, I may not know music, but I listen to what I like.


And I like "Walkie Talkie Man" from Steriogram's album Schmack. You may have heard it on a TV commercial for Apple's iPod. It's Punk-like and Alternative at the same time. Almost as if "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" by Reunion was done as Speed Metal. And it could almost as easily be Bubblegum Pop if it weren't for the very strong Rock orchestration and rhythms. But at two-minutes thirteen-seconds there's hardly enough time to classify it so I'll stick with the iTunes label "Rock." Of course, being this short the lyrics don't have much to say, though they do well painting a picture of someone trying to create an impression on others.

"Walkie Talkie Man"'s breaks of slow paced choruses alternating with the frantic, dialogue-like body sections almost create a pregnant pause effect. You know, that spot in some tunes where the singer stops and the band either stops or leans on a single instrument bleating out a monochromatic theme for a few bars. Rare Earth's "I Just Wanna Celebrate" is famous for this break at 2:36 to 2:54 mark with the drummer taking over for a fading synthesizer. Truly a marvelous example of changing the pace and creating a song-within-a-song using the same melody. The Who does the same thing in "Won't Get Fooled Again" when a synthesizer solo is topped of by Rock's best primal scream.

Some songs put this pregnant pause at the head of the piece. "Owner of a Lonely Heart" holds off the instruments until a chorus of voices sound for a bit then break momentarily. A better example is "Seven Bridges Road" by The Eagles from the Eagles Live album. You can hear the tension and excitement build then splash when the guitar starts off. And then they mirror this technique at the end of the track.

Well written and executed music will always win out over shock or novelty and becomes classic even as the flavor-of-the-month wears off. Will "Walkie Talkie Man" be in this group? Maybe not, but it still is good and it is the Song of the Day.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!