« Home | My supervisor and I had a bad time with a customer... » | My initial attraction to the Christian Rock band S... » | Well, I'm back in the mood for Christian music. Wo... » | Okay, no excuse for not posting something yesterda... » | Updates and Comments on some posts: From 09/26/20... » | Too busy and tired to post anything yesterday. Aft... » | "Built to thrill (classic)" is a great story from ... » | Last night I purchased a couple new songs from iTu... » | Other news from this week - My blog post from Augu... » | Haven't really been listening to music lately, it'... » 

03 October 2004 

Twister (1996) is on TV and it caught my eye, keeping me from the ol' Blog, but as whenever I watch a movie I usually grab the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) and read the trivia, reviews, and other material that looks relevant or interesting. One of the things I found out was that Joss Whedon, of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (theater and TV), was an uncredited script doctor. Not that I was surprised. He writes nice, tight character group interactions. The Twister scene with the tornado chasers chowing down on steak and eggs is an example of this and made me think of Aaron Sorkin at first because it was very much like the way he wrote for Sports Night. The only problem these writers's style is that most of their characters wind up sounding very much alike. Often I think that, except for specific dialects or backgrounds, the characters in these productions would be rather interchangeable.

Less so with Twister. Michael Crichton gets top writing credit and the nerdieness of the characters belies this, as well as the attempt to be scientifically accurate. The plot is simpler than Mr. Crichton usually writes but it is still an excellent movie because of the special effects, the character interactions, and the truly superior efforts of the supporting cast. Jami Gertz leads this group as the "reproductive therapist" thrown into a world totally alien to her. Then there's the cow. No explanation does that scene justice. You've gotta see it.

Sadly, the network cut the chow down scene mentioned above. Without seeing that a viewer would be at a loss to really understand the thin plot and think the movie to be just an effects fest. It's more and that's why it's one of my favorite movies of all time. And probably why it was the first movie ever issued on DVD.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!