« Home | A movie I'm really looking forward to seeing » | Kidnapped Catholic Archbishop Freed » | Come out, come out - wherever you are! » | IE vs Firefox » | Untidy beds may keep us healthy » | Archbishop abducted in Iraq » | I wonder if it still cheats » | My new baby » | And I know that a couple of my students made this ... » | Cripes! Something like this probably happens more ... » 

18 January 2005 

Taking the Lord's name in vain

Minced oaths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Minced oaths are corrupted forms of (usually religion-related) swear words that originally arose in English culture sometime before the Victorian Age, as part of the cultural impact of Puritanism after the Protestant Reformation. The censorship caused people to develop a wide variety of minced oaths to avoid swearing on holy names. They were used for swearing and other types of interjections. With time they came to have a mildly comedic effect."

So when one says "By George!" meaning "By God!" or Cripes! meaning Christ!, is this taking the Lord's name in vain? I was thinking about that because I finally got around to sending the definition of frigging (root word frig) to a friend of mine. When researching a suitable definition of frigging I came across that great excerpt above. We had been talking about language, one of my favorite subjects, and I was reminded of one of my favorite classroom incidents:

Class broke up early and the kids were chatting while I graded some papers. I heard one of my favorite students use the F word so I hollered over "William Josephs!" (not his real name). He said "Sorry, Mr. Hunt" to which I replied "Pick another word, please."

He went back to his conversation and substituted friggin' for the offensive word. "William Josephs!" I hollered again. "That's a bad word, Mr. Hunt?" he replied. I told him "If you aren't sure, don't use it," then told him to grab a dictionary and come to my desk.

After looking up the word he said "Hey, that's as bad as the other one!" To which I assured him that since it was likely only he and I were the only people in the school who knew that it was okay to use it, but to remember its power and not over use it.
The only word that really makes me uncomfortable to use in any situation is the N word. Some words make me uncomfortable to use or hear in different situations, but I firmly believe that with over 300,000 words in the English language alone we have choices that can fit any situation and don't need to rely on the same seven all the time (that number is arbitrary and is a tribute to the great word master, George Carlin). Words have tremendous power when used with correct connotation.

Words also evolve, sometimes by not-so-intelligent design - but that's another issue (see bowdlerization for one example). Once bloody was a really nasty word but is now rather mild. Few dictionaries even acknowledge the word's history. Maybe the F word will be as mild one day. Apparently frigging is on its way there. Hopefully minced oaths have evolved enough that they aren't 3rd Commandment violations.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!