« Home | The Importance of the Pope in the 21st Century UPD... » | The Best » | Killing the Taste in My Mouth » | The Importance of the Pope in the 21st Century UPDATE » | Did you know …? » | Torture » | Interpreting Our Foundations » | Shameless Plug » | Lookin' Over Another Four » | Another Score! Six tracks for the home team! » 

22 March 2005 

Live or Let Die

As anyone in America who hasn’t been living in a cave doubtless already knows, center-of-controversy Terri Schiavo is still making news. The circumstances surrounding this 41-year old brain-damaged Florida woman need not be repeated here, partly because that would be repetitive and partly because simply thinking about it makes me very depressed. The latter might even surprise those that know me fairly well, because few are aware that I faced a similar dilemma with my beloved daughter, Lydia Rose, near the end of her life.

The doctors told my then-wife and me that we should consider having a feeding tube for Lydia as her deteriorating neural condition would soon mean that she would not be able to swallow. When faced with the idea of having maybe another six years with her in a vegetative state, we opted to let her die. The official cause of death was “dementia” caused by metachromic leukodystrophy. Really, she starved. That’s what happens without nutrition and hydration. Don’t let anybody varnish over the truth.

Certainly, the decision was partly selfish. But for me it was a decision made out of love. If Congress, the president, and many citizens around the world has their way this week, showing my love means that I deprived Lydia of her 14th Amendment rights. I was not a fit parent. And I was a murderer.

Fortunately, not everyone agrees. “An ABC News poll showed that most Americans disapproved of Congress's intervention. Two-thirds said they thought lawmakers were using the case of Terri Schiavo for political gain, and 70 percent deemed the congressional action inappropriate, according to the poll published on Monday.”

Perhaps it is just emotion that makes me say this, but this might be a time to throw out the First Amendment because I feel that those who have never had to make such a decision should simply shut up. This is not your fight. Now go away and leave the family alone.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!