« Home | The Bulwer-Lytton Prize » | Stood Up » | The "Perfect Wife" is Gone » | Another visit to the Lost Garden » | Every Boy's Dream » | The Pirate Movie » | Rushing the Season Again » | Carpenter Extraordinaire! » | Another Promise Kept » | John Cleese Strikes Again » 

14 July 2006 

"Never had a dinner!" Remembering Red Buttons

"Red Buttons, the carrot-topped burlesque comedian who became a top star in early television and then won a 1957 Oscar with a surprising dramatic turn in Sayonara, died Thursday. He was 87" (source).

My best memories of Mr. Buttons are from his appearances on the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts and similar programs where he would send the audience into fits of uncontrollable laughter with his "Never had a dinner" routines.

In later years, Buttons became a favorite at testimonial/roast dinners with his roaringly funny "Never had a dinner" routine. He cited famous figures who had never been so honored. Examples: "Abe Lincoln, who said `A house divided is a condominium,' never had a dinner"; "(Perennial presidential candidate) Jerry Brown, whose theme song is 'California, Here I Go,' never had a dinner." (When he did "Buttons on Broadway," he altered the routine and named people who never did one-man shows.)

"He would always have a list of people (who never had a dinner)," said comedian Norm Crosby. "He would come up with these wonderful lines and break everyone up. Red will be missed" (ibid).

Of course his film career is legendary in that he was one of the first comedians to win an Academy Award for drama (1958 for Sayonara). Any performance by this skillful wit was worth watching, though, and I enjoy catching his infrequent appearances on the tele. We will miss you, Mr. Buttons. God Bless.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!