« Home | It's perfectly legal, but then again so is bestiality » | More Pix! » | If you haven't noticed ... » | "Wassup with dat?" Part MCMLXIII » | Truth is Stranger than Toons » | But it's probably colder than Maine » | Tech is passing me by - The Podcast » | Gotta love bad writing, too. » | Spam Spam Spam Spam » | Can you see these dots? » 

02 August 2005 

Hey is for horses

While tweaking my iTunes library before an upcoming road trip I noticed a few patterns. Take this one for example:

  • "Hey Baby (Land Of The New Rising Sun)"
    • M.A.C.C.
    • My then-sister-in-law bought me this disc and this track is my overall favorite. They were truly channeling Jimi to make this one as the guitar riffs are truly euphoric and the vocals just resonate with passion. Makes me wonder why the reviews at Amazon.com generally lambaste the collection as pathetic.
  • "Hey Bartender (Live)"
    • Briefcase Full of Blues
    • This Floyd Dixon cover is just a fun song. Jake and Elwood may not have had as much talent as they thought, but they sure do have a love of the Blues and that was more than enough. Anyone can sing the Blues, but they still did it better than most. I would have loved seeing them in concert, but alas, Belushi lost control and we now have just a few precious recordings.
  • "Hey Joe"
    • Stone Free: A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix
    • Rapper Ice-T can actually sing! Whoda thunk? Like most people from the pre-Rap era are usually of the opinion there is little talent in artists like Ice-T. This stereotype is once again broken, though, with this track. If anyone does a Jimi-biopic, then they should get this man to do the vocals.
  • "Hey Jude"
    • Probably the first song anyone would think about when talking about Hey songs would be this classic. Like many of the group's songs, it is a bit enigmatic but we now know it started out as a song for Julian Lennon. Google it sometime and you'll see that a lot of people identify with it.
  • "Hey You"
    • Not my favorite BTO track, but it's in the top 15. That may not seem like much, but consider that I have almost all their albums on vinyl, most on cassette, and still more on CD or iTunes downloads (no 8-tracks I'm sorry to say). The tune-crafting is formulaic and the lyrics seldom have any sort of bite or true poetry, but oft times Blair Thornton's technical work has both bite and poetry.
  • "Hey, Hey"
    • The Elms
    • Festival Con Dios, Volume One
    • This catchy ditty is a great praise and worship song. The lyrics are overly simplified (making BTO look like Byron) and non-Christians might have trouble ciphering them, but the melody is infectious throughout. Much of the album is this way and over 50% of the tracks were good enough to be ripped for use on the iPod. I can't say that much for other collections that have come out of the annual concerts some liken to "Woodstock for Christians."
I've also noticed that BTO writes a lot about life on the road.

One of the playlists I'm putting together is based on musicians writing about being musicians. This kind of redefines road trip music. All it is missing is Golden Earring's "Turn the Page."

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!