« Home | "My man does not need turtle eggs." » | Honestly, don't people have better things to do? » | Is BLU too good to be True? » | Why I need to move from Penn's Woods ... » | Something to Research » | Here's a great word! » | "White" Means "Plain Vanilla" » | The Quest Continues: High-Resolution Wallpaper » | Hee Hee Hee » | Did I mention my friends went camping? » 

25 August 2005 

More about my recent vacation

Sunday – First Travel Day! The trip from Penn’s Woods to the Pine Tree State was uneventful. I decided to take a route that deviated from my usual course and found myself stuck in traffic in the Pocono Mountains. This meant that to save some time I would need to route through the Nutmeg State. Big mistake. I had forgotten about the construction between Waterbury and Hartford. That cost me probably another 45 minutes on top of the hour that I had lost earlier. Rather than fight on I bailed and went headed for the nation’s northern-most Commonwealth to take advantage of the speed on their excellent turnpike. This allowed me to finish the trip in nine hours rather than my usual eight.

I was rather disappointed that the podcasts I had saved just for the trip were too quiet to hear properly, even with the volume cranked to eleven. And I just wasn’t into music for some reason so the trip could have been more enjoyable, but at least it was safe.

Monday – The Big Day! Mom and I were both baptized today in the chilly waters of the Piscataqua River in Eliot, ME; her with the assistance of her eldest brother, James, and me with the assistance of my best friend, Paul. Too bad the Hawaiian-style shorts I bought didn’t fit, but image didn’t really matter, of course.

Mom went first. At 72 years she’s the youngest in her family and the last to make a commitment to the Lord. Only one of her remaining bother and sisters wasn’t present, but as I mentioned, her brother helped with the honors and that just made the moment for her. Everything was about as impromptu as it could get.

Then it was my turn. Personally, I wanted to go out farther and the whole experience seemed too brief, but then I really had no idea what was going to happen anyway.


When we got dried off everyone packed up and went their separate ways. Later Mom and I took Paul, his family, Uncle James, and his girlfriend (yes, they are in their 80s) out to a big seafood restaurant for a couple hundred dollars worth of food. Uncle James and I sat at one end with the littler kids and had a chance to talk. It was probably the most we had spoke to each other in some 35 years.

Tuesday – Whale Watching Day! Some of this was described in a post on the 18th of this month. Not much more to report, really, but I would like to add that I used the opportunity to teach a bit of seamanship to Lyndy, the eldest daughter. I can’t help but teach something now and then.

Wednesday – Lay About Day! I had picked up a bit of a cold and was exhausted from all of the relaxing done the day before so other than beating mom in a few hands of cribbage not much of anything was accomplished today.

For the most part, that describes the rest of my vacation, except for some basement painting and a few other chores. Time really flew while we tried to decide where to take an overnight trip. Eventually we didn’t go anywhere and I know this really disappointed my mother. It might have been nice to do something out of the ordinary, but I see vacations as a time to relax, not run around like crazy.

Thursday, the following week – Another Travel Day! My drive home was rather good, actually. I took my favorite route back home: West over to Bennington, VT then south from Albany, NY. I added a twist by avoiding Scranton, PA and found the drive seemed to go faster and was certainly far more pleasant. I love having an iPod in the car, I really do.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!