« Home | And to think I was embarrassed to explain "Milkshake" » | "There are more things in ..." » | I Dare You » | The Beeb has the most disturbing news » | 'Virgin conception' first for UK"Human embryos cre... » | Have you tried this yet? » | Picked up a good quote today » | Yup. I knew it would happen. » | Predictive Ads? » | First on the Right Road » 

17 September 2005 

The Good Thief Revisited

Not one to believe in coincidence of late, I still find it very interesting that I should have recently come across two rather good songs of faith about Dismas, the Good Thief.

35 And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, "He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God."
36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming and offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself."
38 And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew:

THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us."
40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." 42 Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom."
43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." (Gospel of Luke23:35-43)

One song, "Never Look Away" by KJ-52 should have been reviewed for it's musical characteristics in a post yesterday but I picked it up after the fact. It is a Rap song that takes the point of view of Dismas while he's on the cross and emphasizes his joy at redemption despite the sorrow of the event and his physical suffering. The song is tastefully though powerfully done with a slow, wrenching rhythm that kicks in after a Pop-style opening and a personal approach to the lyrics that creates the impression of a dialogue. With each listening I come closer and closer to breaking down in tears. Not sure if I should reflect upon why this is so I'll just be grateful for the moderation brought by the Pop-style chorus and back-up vocals. KJ's fervent performance is that good.

Reviewers at Amazon seem to feel the same way about Third Day's "Thief" from their self-titled album. One reviewer felt "torn up" and I can understand why as the story is filled out more graphically than in "Never Look Away" despite also treating the lyrics as a dialogue in the first person. Raw rhythm isn't used to build the power in this piece, but rather a contemplative approach is taken as more of the story is told. Third Day takes us into Dismas's thought processes as he take the measure of Jesus throughout the day. When I get past the impression that this is a song out of a Broadway production -- the melody, the vocal arrangement, etc., make me picture a Godspell-like experience -- I find the piece rather moving, though not as deeply as others do.

Additional Links:

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!