« Home | 'Virgin conception' first for UK"Human embryos cre... » | Have you tried this yet? » | Picked up a good quote today » | Yup. I knew it would happen. » | Predictive Ads? » | First on the Right Road » | Can you say "Podcast?" » | Sidetracked again and I don't know how » | Another Sad Anniversary » | Somewhere in the last update or so Google Earth up... » 

15 September 2005 

The Beeb has the most disturbing news

BBC News has to be one of the finest organizations of its type anywhere in the world. Professional, thorough, exacting, and now we can say "depressing."

States 'not run by people's will': "Sixty-five percent of citizens across the world do not think their country is governed by the will of the people, a poll commissioned by the BBC suggests."

"The figure is 55% for the US and Canada and up to 82% in EU countries - but just 24% in West Africa."
That's two stories today that the Beeb has brought to my attention that have managed to put me in a rather foul mood (see the 8:08 PM post below). I suggest you read the whole article anyway because it is rather enlightening. It made me hark back to the Five Themes of Geography, particularly place and region.

PLACE "Every place on Earth has special characteristics that make it different from every other place. Every place can be described in terms of its physical characteristics, including weather, land features, plants, and animals. Every place can be described in terms of its human features. These features include a place's peoples, their cultures, and their ideas" (4, Sager). The figures in the articles clearly show that place is an important factor in how much control people think they have. With the exception of the United States and Canada, mostly people in 3rd world nation felt powerless. But then again who controls many of those governments? Dictators, war lords, drug cartels, and puppets of the economic elite. That's an understandable feeling with all things considered.

REGION "A region is an area defined by common characteristics. Regions can be defined by more than one characteristic" (7, ibid). Ideas: language, climate, religion, etc. There are more commonalities than differences. A 'uniform region' is "an area distinguished by one or more common characteristics." A 'nodal region' "is an area distinguished by the movement or activity that takes place in and around it" (101, ibid). Examining the findings leads me to believe that the greater the uniformity and the greater in variety shared characteristics are the greater the sense of empowerment. The more people have in common the better they understand one another and the more secure they feel.

Would that we could spend more time with issues like this than with war and rumors of war. :::sigh::: Oddly enough, one of the songs playing in iTunes as I write this is singer/songwriter Randy Newman's "I Love L.A.," possibly one of the best interpretations of harmony despite differences as people celebrate shared values. Thank you, Mr. Newman for cheering me up.
Bibliography
Sager, Dr. Robert J. and Dr. David M. Helgren. World Geography Today. (Austin, TX: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1997).

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!