« Home | A Modest Proposal » | A Brave Inspiration » | Shirking » | Oops, I did it again! » | Yet Another Language Rant » | Disappointed with Sports on the Web » | An Amusing Way to End the Day » | Speed Bump spells it out » | An Open Denial » | Changes, Choices, & other "Ch" words » 

26 October 2005 

Methinks he's spot-on

While gathering quotes for the daily e-mail I send to my workmates this one popped up:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mohandas Gandhi (source)
Whoa. So dead on it hurts. Too many professed Christians don't live up to the model, me included. And there is a reason for this -- it is much easier to govern ourselves by wondering "What would Jesus do?" rather than knowing what Jesus did.

The Bible is hard to read, in my opinion. Surely it is a translation issue or that it is nothing like contemporary prose. A much larger factor for many is that the content is uncomfortable because it points out our flaws -- well, maybe that should be "our humanity" rather than "our flaws" -- and this leads to guilt for not overcoming the condition.

Continuing in a pseudo-Socratic fashion ... So what's up with the guilt, then? Because Jesus was created human, too, he faced the same challenges, problems, and temptations that we do and more so (don't forget that field trip with Satan). Because He was able to remain in a state of perfect grace He became the standard, albeit so nearly impossible to match we tend to feel bad when we don't measure up.

This guilt may not be entirely appropriate. Maybe we should instead be regretful, something akin to guilt, as forsaking the gift given to us by His sacrifice creates the burden of loss. People tend to wallow in regret more so than they do guilt, too, which is part of a cycle of inviting the sin to stay in our lives.

This continuance of sin is, of course, the poor behavior recognized by the Mahatma and to have it attributed to Christians is itself regrettable. We Saints need to take a lesson from the great Indian legend and live according to our values because people judge us by our individual deeds then brand our community as a whole. The only way we can overcome this is to study the life of Jesus and apply the lessons to our own life. Then, perhaps, observations like Gandhi's will no longer cross the minds of our brothers and sisters.

I hadn't ever heard that quote from Gandhi. I love it! It is very true. I like your posts!

Mom

Thanks! I appreciate that. Gandhi is something of a hero of mine.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!