« Home | As penance for not closing Bible study with a pray... » | You old SOD, you! Yes, it's time for the Song of t... » | Firefox - The Browser, Reloaded: "Firefox 0.9 is t... » | BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Liberty reop... » | Yahoo! News reports U.S. Soldiers Abused Iraqis 'F... » | The BBC reports Mass graves found in Ivory Coast: ... » | Another iTunes Playlist! "It Ain't Twang" Oddly ... » | "President Bush on Monday endorsed creation of a n... » | Song of the Day: Any version of Cab Calloway's "Mi... » | Update: Pictures from the recent church bombings i... » 

05 August 2004 

When are musicians and other celebrities going to learn that when we pay to see them in a concert or some other forum, we are paying for their talent, not their political views? Case in point, an MSNBC report that quotes singer Don Henley during a concert:

“Given what my good friend Linda Ronstadt —” Henley started telling the crowd, but he was cut down as the audience erupted in boos, reports the Orange County Register. Henley responded: “Whoops — Orange County, we used to be able to have civil debate in this country. Not anymore.”
Yes, Mr. Henley, we do have civil debate. But if you or other celebrities want to make your personal opinions known then do it on your own dime. By performing for a fee in a concert your talent is being rented by ticket holders for their entertainment.

The last concert I attended featured several Christian bands and I was fairly confident that as a Christian I shared their beliefs. But that's not why I attended. I went for the music, to share the experience with friends, and simply to be entertained. When scripture was shared I was not surprised because it related to the music. Likewise there was no surprise when the concert sponsors came out for a word with the audience because they subsidized the concert expenses and thus paid for the time they took.

Being a celebrity should not give any special privilege or concession to a person's opinions. I am not a celebrity and if I want people to know my opinions I can submit editorials to media outlets, pay for time or space in the media, create a Website, or any of a myriad of other things. If a celebrity wants to do the same thing that is fine with me. But don't subject the audience to something they didn't pay to have. Doing so only creates another version of e-mail spam or junk postal mail and alienates people.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!