« Home | Speaking of manly music, Elmer Bernstein, composer... » | Henry Mancini's "Peter Gunn" is today's Song of th... » | When it rains I play. Sure, I have other things to... » | Song of the Day: I was tempted to bring up Superch... » | The following headline and story from today's news... » | According to BBC NEWS Sex spam clogs summer in-box... » | Gave the ol' iPod a rest today and didn't listen t... » | Odd that almost the day after I comment on the adv... » | Update on my post from 08/14: The adverts from the... » | While I'm watching a bit of Olympic Badminton comp... » 

19 August 2004 

Words, words, words. All this writing of late has made me once again wonder how many words there are in the English language. One source says about three million with about 200,000 in common usage. Another says there are none if you consider it abstractly.

I'm always on the hunt for new words and I like using as many varied words as possible (admittedly I need work on this, especially with transition words). One professor in my first year at college marked up a paper of mine for the variety and complexity of words commenting "Anyone can write with a thesaurus!" Then he crossed that out and added "Sorry. I didn't look at whose paper it was first." That's funny because in high school I had trouble believing that a writer would be so careful about word choice. This drove my Shakespeare teacher starkers.

One has to adjust language to suit the audience, of course. My teammates at work and I had this discussion recently when they heard me using some Yiddish slang on the phone with a customer. I told them that I always tailor the words I use to the customer because it makes them more comfortable. Then I suggested that this might be one of the reasons customers have such a good experience with me.

We also had a discussion on the Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Television. I specifically avoid using them because I want to maintain their impact. The F word, for example, is so powerful that when I use it in conversation people stop. And while I avoid unnecessarily crude humor, I don't mind blue humor if it's situationally appropriate. That, in a nutshell, is the same rule I use for so-called foul language in general. I may be a bit more liberal on this than Bill Cosby's position because I'm from a different generation, but I certainly admire him for taking the stand that he has.

Everybody in the discussion had a word or two that they refuse to say under any circumstance. For me, I'd be really hard pressed to use what is commonly referred to (especially by Caucasians) as the N word. I'm also loath to use any slang describing genitalia.

Regardless of how many words there are in any language (and irregardless is not a word), it's a shame not to use them. Language is both the product of a culture and it's backbone.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!