« Home | Who'da thunk South Park would be witty? » | Observations on The inauguration » | Taking the Lord's name in vain » | A movie I'm really looking forward to seeing » | Kidnapped Catholic Archbishop Freed » | Come out, come out - wherever you are! » | IE vs Firefox » | Untidy beds may keep us healthy » | Archbishop abducted in Iraq » | I wonder if it still cheats » 

20 January 2005 

More oath mincing

Last Tuesday's post about minced oaths elicited some commentary. Okay, no one read it, but I talked to some of my fellow teachers and they had some ideas:

The English Teacher whose religious orientation is not known to me: No, words take on new meanings over time as people forget the original meanings. These word substitutions thus become simple exclamations. Cripes! probably is not taking the Lord's name in vain. She didn't know about many of the minced oaths I mentioned, particularly Jimminy Cricket.

The Physics Teacher who, like me, is a Christian and a Freemason: No qualms about using minced oaths. He even suggested a few.

The Chemistry Teacher who is one of my Bible study buddies: The 3rd Commandment is about more serious issues. For example, the Crusades were a violation as men were doing evil and claiming the Lord was to benefit or that they were directed by the Lord. He then semi-digressed on the subject to tell me about a great story on NPR regarding words that aren't well translatable.

The latter person once told me that crap isn't really a bad word. Funny, but I'll say frigging before I'll say that, and it's an oath that is considered very rude by any dictionary. I guess they weight and value that everyone puts on words is what makes language evolve.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!