« Home | A Nice Drive Home Tonight » | This got my dander up a bit » | More about my recent vacation » | "My man does not need turtle eggs." » | Honestly, don't people have better things to do? » | Is BLU too good to be True? » | Why I need to move from Penn's Woods ... » | Something to Research » | Here's a great word! » | "White" Means "Plain Vanilla" » 

27 August 2005 

I'm Tossed

When I was teaching I always tried to reward creative thinking. For example, trusted students always knew that they could get into my class late once in a while if they had a creative - preferably amusing - excuse rather than a hall pass. The students also knew that I treated school as if it was their job with personal responsibility playing a huge role in my discipline plan. It is with all this in mind when I read the following news story and found myself alternately cheering and shaking my head in wonder.

There's much sympathy out there, as well, for the Pennsylvania students now known as the Kutztown 13, who have been charged with felony counts for hacking into their school-issued Apple iBooks. In addition to violating school policies by downloading music and chat features, a couple of the students obtained school administrator passwords and spied on the administrators. The password, for what its worth, was part of the school's address and was actually printed on the back of the laptop.

The students made a strong case in their own defense, and it looks like the charges will be dropped so long as they agree to do 15 hours of community service, write an apology, take a class on personal responsibility and serve a few months probation, The Associated Press reports. Bloggers are wondering if the school district will take any of the responsibility (Bloggers point to school district in Kutztown case | News.blog | CNET News.com).
On the one hand, bravo for the ingenuity. Even if the school hadn't had lax security I have no doubt that kids this bright would have succeeded anyway. There are some in every school. One year a couple of my students did a fairly good job counterfeiting money and I congratulated them as I suggest to the principal that we contact the ATF for an arrest. Nearly every one of the 10 years I spent in one district included an incident like this. I really hate to tell a kid in school "now don't be smart!"

Turning one-hundred eighty degrees, though, the students had no business doing what they did. If I tried that as a teacher I would have been prosecuted, too, and likely never would have taught again. Similar restrictions are imposed by my current employer. In fact, I have to electronically "sign" a terms and conditions agreement each time my computer is started and everything is password protected. The students violated a trust. Now all students are going to be watched with keener eyes. That's profiling to be sure, but it will happen.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!