« Home | A Kitten is a Terrible Thing to Waste » | A Sincere Apology » | Dog Testicles & Penguin Poop » | A Quote to Make One Think » | Some notes for Christians (but you can look, too) » | Warning: Language Rant Ahead » | How do they know? » | Spot, the Grammar Goof » | "Oh, my! Let me put on my face first!" » | Let's do some math! » 

08 October 2005 

The wait is over!

The reviews are in and Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a sure-fire must-see movie. Rather than subject you to a full review-style commentary by me, I'd just like to hit a few high points:

Kids will love Were-Rabbit because it is a silly animated film unlike that which they are used to seeing. The whole film isn't slick computer graphics simulating reality but rather warm, detailed stop motion animation aided by a computer without any pretentions. The hearts of the animators and directors are right up there on the screen, imperfections and all.

Adults will enjoy the humor that ranges from wry to slapstick to a wee bit mature. In the showing that I attended the older attendees laughed out loud as much as the youth contingent. Further adding to the enjoyment is that Were-Rabbit is faithful to the better "monster" movies of yore - there's an actual plot with depth and genuine character development. Even the bunnies.

Laugh-out-loud-funny is what this film truly is, indeed. I decided about half way through that I'd have to either see it again or make buying the DVD a priority just so I could catch up on the jokes I missed while laughing. The humour isn't quite as Brit as found in previous incarnations, but there is enough that the cultural cognoscenti will have a few extra laughs.

Wallace and Gromit fans -- and Aardman fans in general -- will take to this movie like Wensleydale to a cracker just for the visual tid-bits and not-so-inside jokes found in nearly every scene through the cleverness of the art direction. The picture (left) of Lady Tottington is a good example. Sometimes the visual punnery is this obvious while other times it leaves you scratching your head thinking "Did I just see ..." while the merriment continues. Like the best Marx Brothers, this film will keep you on your toes.

The dialogue also runs the gamut from witty obliviousness to pie-in-the-face obviousness. Here the town constable, PC McIntosh (whose name we don't learn until the credits - talk about subtle) is addressing a meeting of townsfolk:
PC McIntosh: [the townspeople are discussing the attack on their vegetables] If you ask me, this was arson!
Townspeople: [gasp!]
PC McIntosh: Yeah. Someone arsen' around!
Were-Rabbit may not be as artsy as other animated flicks this year and it may not have a huge studio behind it as yet others do, but it is certainly Oscar-worthy because it is a complete package. "Wallace and Gromit have the additional quality of being lovable beyond all measure, inhabiting a world of British eccentricity that produces dialogue such as: 'This is worse than 1972, when there were slugs the size of pigs'" (Ebert*). No element has been sacrificed for the sake of another. I would not be afraid to recommend Were-Rabbit to anybody without a fetish for hasenpfeffer.

Come to think of it, I might go see it again tomorrow.

For Your Consideration:

I love Wallance and Gromit!

Me, too. I'm really suprised that no one has written the "Tao of Gromit" yet. There's more to that dog than meets the eye. He's deeper than most people I know.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!