« Home | Going Post-al » | The wait is over! » | A Kitten is a Terrible Thing to Waste » | A Sincere Apology » | Dog Testicles & Penguin Poop » | A Quote to Make One Think » | Some notes for Christians (but you can look, too) » | Warning: Language Rant Ahead » | How do they know? » | Spot, the Grammar Goof » 

08 October 2005 

Thinking about today's Daily Wisdom

That little box of Daily Wisdom below the adverts on this page earns me no money but it does stimulate my thinking with some regularity.

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
1 Peter 2:13-15 (read in context)
My first impression was that this passage describes that the faithful should not bow to any ruler not justified by God. Reading a fourth time I finally noted that him in "sent by him" was not capitalized therefore there should be no inference of the divine.

So then what is this scripture about? It seems to simply be an affirmation of "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" (see also). Not a new concept or one that is especially critical at first glance. The important part -- or, rather, the most important part -- then revolves around "by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men."

We who openly profess to be Christian can cloud or even destroy the image automatically conferred upon us when we fail to honor this concept through faithful modeling of Christian ideals in daily life. Having a Fish stuck to your car is a good way to announce your faith, but then driving as if the devil is your co-pilot is not good (thanks, Tanya and Mike), in other words.

When someone that I am speaking to as a representative of my employer says "God be with you" or something to that effect in the conversation it hurts a bit that I can't reciprocate -- some sort of behavior violation that no one has been able to explain to me -- but I can model good, Christian behavior. More importantly, when someone invites me to blaze a trail to the netherworld or questions my parentage, I can still model good, Christian behavior. In either instance, if my faith were to then be known then my actions would reflect well upon the Lord.

Perhaps this is what the scripture all about, or perhaps not. If all else is to naught, then at least pondering the Word is sufficient. But that is the point of His Word being ineffable in the first place. "Ours is not to reason why," to paraphrase Tennyson, "but to do well so we don't die" in the mortal sense.

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!