« Home | What is NASCAR? » | Gotta Love Lego » | Another Actor I'm Fond of: C. Aubrey Smith » | The Good Thief Revisited » | And to think I was embarrassed to explain "Milkshake" » | "There are more things in ..." » | I Dare You » | The Beeb has the most disturbing news » | 'Virgin conception' first for UK"Human embryos cre... » | Have you tried this yet? » 

19 September 2005 

Expressions Make Beauty

Every now and then I think about what makes a face beautiful. That was one of the topics we talked about at work today and we quickly turned to the idea of the Golden Ratio, also known as the Divine Proportion, as a measure.

"Standards of beauty may be related to natural mathematical proportions which have captivated humans across cultures since the beginning of time, such as the golden ratio (approximately 1.618:1). Some beautiful faces do seem to exhibit such geometric proportions" (citation).

Beauty quantified. Novelty, spontaneity, and atmosphere stripped away. Now plastic surgeons plot attractive stimuli to the millimeter by cold mathematics Thus beauty escapes the subjective by metamorphosiing through the chrysalis of science. Mores the pity. Until one considers the perfect proportion through the eyes of great artists and their works.

One of the most famous examples of this is the Mona Lisa. This work, aside from containing many elements that raise questions about its origins and the artist's intentions, is nearly every high school student's introduction to basic principles such as forced perspective, light, and history. What many never learn is that it is that "the Length and the width of the paint itself is already in Golden Ratio. A Golden Rectangle also can be drawn around Mona's face" (citation). Da Vinci wasn't a Master for nothing. I could post many examples as technically correct as the Mona Lisa, but could any be as inherently beautiful?

The answer "no" reinvigorates the subjective arguments. Many people are enamored of newborns but the casual stranger will as often as not see such a child and inwardly think thank goodness that's not my kid!

At this point I am tempted to look into factors that form the subjective but I'll leave that to your imagination for now and maybe come back to it in another post. Instead, I would like to ruminate on the beauty I see in actress Piper Perabo, pictured at left. Likely there are factors such as youth, fame, style, and a number of other intangibles that would take up a few essays on their own. But look closely at the photo (click on it to enlarge it but come back to keep reading).

Do you see how expressive she is? That is a primary subjective factor to beauty that I prize well and above many commonly held preferences or those that can me measured mathematically. Emoting and expressing has to be natural to be a part of beauty as the aphorism "you're beautiful when you are angry" reminds us. This tells me that there is a real, feeling person inside that package. When I wrote on this topic recently, the post featured pictures of actress Anne Hathaway and one of the things I mentioned is that she had the same, fixed smile in each photo that I found in my research. Pleasant, of course, but invariably without heart and uninviting. Expression without intent is not very satisfying, at least not for very long.

Perhaps it is true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and can't be successfully made, marketed, hyped, tweaked, or otherwise packaged. Now that's beautiful, isn't it?

Other links:

About me

  • I'm CC Hunt
  • From Between UNH & USM of late., United States
  • Romans 7:15 in some fashion or other defines it all, be it my career, loves, family, or whatever.
My profile

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




Disclaimers: Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. Some material appearing on this site may be copyrighted or otherwise protected under the 8th Commandment. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. If contacted I will remove the item(s) in question. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. Use of said material implies no intentional malice or desire for financial gain. I doubt, therefore I might be. Citations and links will be given as needed. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too? The views expressed by me on this site are an exercise of my 1st Ammendment rights and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that's not going to happen." Origninal material is not copyright but your correct citation is appreciated. Good quality underwear is worth the extra cost. I cannot be responsible for moved or broken links or the content (including advertisements) they represent nor should the inclusion of same necessarily imply specific endorsement from me. Someone who can smile when things go wrong has someone else in mind to blame. If you have your own views to express then you are kindly invited to find your own forum. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession but for some reason bears a very close resemblance to the first. Quando omni flunkus, mortati Thanks! Peace & Prayers!